Lawn Problems

Help With Stinky Mushrooms That Attract Flies. Yuk!!!!!

jwells4 added on June 15, 2012 | Answered

I have very stinky mushrooms growing in my yard in an area where we have two trees cut down. I have poured pure household bleach on them and they go away for a while. They come right back and attract flies. . . . very frustrating. How can I get rid of them? Is there anything I can pour on them? I dig them up and a few days later they are back. Help!!!

Fungus require a nutrient-dense substrate to grow in. This is why mushrooms are commonly found growing on dead logs (or where trees once were), compost, and feces. There is no way to get rid of all the mushroom spores in the soil or air. And no matter how much you "pick" these, unless you treat the problem, they will only keep coming back. Also, only mature mushrooms have spores so picking them too late will have little effect as the spores are released once contact is made. Get them just as they pop up. Here is an article that you may find helpful:

You might want to treat your lawn with a lawn fungicide formulated for killing mushrooms. The two most popular are Bayleton and Daconil. In addition to fungicide, which usually require repeat applications, you could try spraying them with a solution of baking soda (2 tbsp) and water (1 gal).

I had the same problem. it is the organic matter from the cut down tree roots that is your problem. use dishwashing soap and squirt the mushrooms, sparingly!

Here are more questions about Lawn Problems