Chrysanthemum Plants

Mums

I bought a house in the fall and enjoyed a row of large red mums for quite some time. I didn't know what to do with them and just now read that I should have cut them back to 3-4 inches to encourage them to come back this year. I missed the boat. Should I cut them back now? Leave them? Pull them out because all hope is lost? Thanks, Kimberly

Do you know if the mums that were planted were Hardy Mum's?
It is possible that annual mums were used for decoration and curb appeal.

It is possible that the mums that were planted were not hardy, meaning they would not survive the cold winter weather.
If you see new growth on the plants, then trim away the old and dead parts of the plant and let them grow this spring.

If you see no new growth, the plants may have died and can be removed and you can plant again.

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/chrysanthemum/growing-chrysanthemum-flowers.htm

00
Here are more questions about Chrysanthemum Plants