Soil Problems

Mulch Versus Topsoil

I have a flower be that runs along the side of my house. This flower bed is 8" wide and 30' long. When the home was built (2007), the builder was supposed to use several inches of topsoil for the bed, but he didn't. So, I recently removed about 6" of clay-like soil containing many rocks and now I want to fill the bed with either mulch, or topsoil, or a combination of both. This will become either an annual flower bed, or a perennial one, though I suspect an annual one. Finally my question: What should I use to fill the bed? Just mulch, or just to soil, or a combination of both? Thanks so much for your feedback. Incidentally, the bed faces West. Thanks again!

While some may disagree, I happen to mix the two together in my own beds. As long as the mulch you choose is not fresh, like with wood chips, it is fine. I have an old mulch pile that's been sitting for some time and I simply mix it in with topsoil/potting soil and use it in my beds. The mulch adds organic matter to the soil and makes for a great growing environment overall.

00
Here are more questions about Soil Problems