Mulberry Trees

Mulberry Tree Planting

I live in the foothills of Los Angeles. My wife and I want to plant a Mulberry tree by our deck for shade. We want to plant it in a box though. We have room for a 4' x 4' x 4' box. Do you think that is enough room for the root system to grow? Would the tree get big enough to create a canopy? If not, what tree would you recommend for our situation?

Hi there anon of L.A. The Mulberry tree is a very invasive shallow rooting tree,so if you want a shade tree that keeps its roots to itself-choose something else.As I live in Australia I can't advise you of an alternative.P.S.The fruit are very tasty & can be frozen for up to 3 months but have a very short shelf life, that's.why you don't see them in s/markets Regards -Bob from Toodyay W.Australia

Here are more questions about Mulberry Trees