Mulberry Trees

Mulberry Tree in Dordorgne France – Fruit Very Tiny Not Edible

Marymumma added on July 1, 2017 | Answered

We planted a mulberry tree in our garden and it is doing beautifully - BUT. This year it has fruit for the first time, instead of the large luscious fruit we were expecting it has tiny hard inedible fruit, now turning red! What should we do please? I'm afraid my technological skills prevent me uploading a photo, but the fruit are about a centimetre long. Marymumma

During the first year or two after planting, it is important to give the tree plenty of TLC, with generous water and food right through the main growing season. Mulch and manure your tree deeply, and ideally feed once a month from March to September in its first three years. This gets mulberries off to a good start and will make for a much healthier and more fruit-productive tree in the long run, while it should also be free of banes such as canker.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/fruitless-mulberry/how-to-grow-mulberry-trees.htm

00
Marymumma

I don't think it is lack of nurture causing the useless fruit, as the tree is thriving well in good soil and indeed everything here seems to grow like a rocket. I wondered if the tree was a variety that doesn't produce good mulberries, as when I bought it the French man who sold it to me didn't seem aware of the culinary possibilities, despite this being France. I've never come across mulberries here in anything. Or could it be infertile - do I need two trees? Yet the fruit must surely exist because of pollination. Marymumma

00
Here are more questions about Mulberry Trees