Camellia Plants

Moving a Camellia

nebulon added on April 11, 2013 | Answered

I have a maybe 10 year old camellia which never fails to flower. I wish to re-organise my small garden and plant the camellia in another place. Is it possible to do this with such a well established plant? I don't want to risk losing it.

It is possible to relocate your camellia. The best time to sever a plant from the ground is in the fall. However, as long as deciduous plants haven't refoliated, you can still dig. Make sure you dig a rootball 10-12" wide for each inch diameter of the trunk. If your camellia trunk has a 2" diameter, dig 20-24" diameter rootball. Use the same transplanting method as you would any tree or shrub You will need to take care (water) for the camellia for the first year until it becomes established.

Here are more questions about Camellia Plants