Q.Mouse Poison Dangerous For Owls
Hi there, I found your website because I was looking for info about mice in the yard. Your website is very helpful. I wanted to see if you might reconsider recommending the mouse poison for dealing with the critters. When birds like owls eat the mice that have ingested the poison it often kills the birds. We have a lot of remarkable birds in our yard like owls and hawks that eat mice and other critters. It would be heartbreaking to inadvertently harm the creatures up the food chain. I’m going to try to figure a place to set traps instead. Thanks for your consideration!
Certified GKH Gardening Expert
Generally, predatory birds will not eat animals that are already dead. Mouse poison is very fast acting and there is very little chance that it will have time to become an owl's meal before dying, however, scavenging animals can be a concern.
Still, we must provide a broad range of solutions to fit everyone as to be fair and not leave anyone out. There are many natural traps and deterrents that are recommended as well.
It is up to each individual gardener to find what suits his or her needs, and when used responsibly and correctly, many of these solutions can be carried out with little risk to the environment. The important thing will be to follow ALL instruction VERY CAREFULLY. I can't stress that enough. Using any poison outside of its means can have deadly consequences.