Moonflowers

Moonflowers

twilliams added on September 5, 2016 | Answered

I planted my first moonflower this year and it is growing beautifully but it has no smell. Why? I have also marked the flowers so I can harvest the seeds but there are none. Can you help?

Moonflower is a common name used for a few plant species, but the most common is Ipomoea alba, a morning glory species, so I will assume that is what you have.

Sometimes flowers will lose their scent after they are rained on, but should develop a scent again soon. Also check the image at this site to make sure the plant you have really is Ipomoea alba, because ther flowers sold as moonflower may not have a scent:

http://www.uaex.edu/yard-garden/resource-library/plant-week/moonflower-9-16-05.aspx

The flowers should develop small pods after they wilt, which will eventually turn brown. If none appear, there may be a pollination problem.

00
Here are more questions about Moonflowers