Liriope Plants

Monkey Grass Weed Control

I purchased a home last year and it had beautiful monkey grass along pathway entrance, for 2 reasons: 1 was attractive, the other was to help drainage issue with foundation. I cut the monkey grass back in early spring as I had been told, and it grew back well. But I have been having a bear of a time with weeds in it. There is a 5-6 inch separation between lawn and monkey grass, but weeds are numerous in monkey grass. Is there a process to prevent or control the weeds? Is there a "Weed and Feed" that will not kill monkey grass?

Your best bet would be to hand pull as much as you can to keep weed growth to a minimum. However, you could also try sprinkling corn meal in the area, which has a chemical in it that acts as a pre-emergent on plant seeds preventing them from germinating. Sprinkling corn meal will not harm plants but will keep weeds from growing. Another option (though not one I enjoy recommending) is the use of conventional weed killers. Most weed killers will dissipate after a certain period and that period will be noted on the packaging. Ortho Grass-B-Gon will kill weeds but won't harm your monkey grass.

00
Here are more questions about Liriope Plants