Meyer Lemon Trees

Miniature Meyer Lemon Tree

pammer added on January 21, 2015 | Answered

My tree got aphids after I brought it in for the winter. I started spraying with neem oil. I think I got them all but lost all my leaves and all but 3 lemons fell off. Now I have a new branch growing out of the main stem about 1/2 way down, which is healthy. What do I do?

I would first check to see where your tree's graft collar is. Some citrus trees have a graft collar at the base and some have them just below the original canopy. You are looking for a scar that goes all the way around the trunk of the plant. All citrus trees have them unless you grew it from seed.

Once you locate the graft collar, if the new shoot is growing from above the graft collar, then it can develop as the tree you had. If the shoot is from below the graft collar, this is a sucker from the rootstock and must be removed. A rootstock sucker will never produce desirable fruit.

Also, don't write off the rest of the plant. If the leafless stems and branches are still pliable, there is a very good chance they will regrow their leaves if you continue to give the tree proper care.

00
Here are more questions about Meyer Lemon Trees