May Day Trees

Mayday Suckers

mayday added on May 29, 2011 | Answered

I have a beautiful 15-year-old Mayday tree and it has been suckering the past couple years. I have been cutting them off, but they are returning with a vengeance. It is now about a foot thick surrounding the base of the tree and you can't get a shovel through it. Now I'm noticing sprouts in my lawn. Is there anyway of getting rid of them?  I'm contemplating removing the tree.

When trees starts suddenly putting up alot of suckers, this is a sign that the tree is under alot of stress. Basically, it thinks it may die and so starts trying to reproduce any way it can.

Check the tree out thoroughly. Is there a pest issue? Is there signs of disease or fungus? Is is getting enough water or nutrients? All of these things can stress a tree and make it start sending up suckers.

Thank you for you answer, the tree is perfectly healthy and is beautiful. The tree gets fed on a regular basis since there is garden surrounding it, I have since dug down and removed the root balls that were forming on the trunk under the surface because this is where the shoots were coming from, I also removed the garden since it seems to have started around the same time. As for water, my flowers are striving so Im at a loss.

Here are more questions about May Day Trees