Manual Pollination of Cantaloupe

markaz added on July 7, 2011 | Answered

I've read this excellent summary of pollinating cantaloupe [ htm] but have to admit I do not see the pollen containing stamen. At the base of each male, they appear blunted (new, mature or old male flower). I'm positive they're male flowers and wondering if different varieties of cantaloupes have different appearing stamens. Example, all the ones on my plant are somewhat flat at the base. Any help would be appreciated.

The pollen appears as a powdery substance. If you are looking at a male flower, then you will see a yellowish powder. Whatever structure it is on, you can transfer this powder (pollen) to the female flower.

This article on telling the different between male and female flowers on squash applies to melons as well:

Here are more questions about Cantaloupe