Magnolia Trees

Magnolia Tree

donna2katz added on April 23, 2016 | Answered

My magnolia tree is blossoming beautifully now, but frost is predicted. Will it destroy the blossoms? We live in zone 4/5 and the tree is probably 10 years old, so apparently is hardy here. Or can we pick the blossoms and bring them in the house?

If the frost is a big dip in temperature or lasts for several hours your blossoms and buds can be damaged or killed.
I garden in zone 4 and this is the first year in nearly 5 that late frosts have not damaged the buds and blossoms of my Star Magnolia, so I understand your frustration.

Blossoms from the tree would only last a few hours off of the tree.
You can cut branches and enjoy for a few days, but remember that you are pruning your tree in doing this and it may be best to just leave them on the tree.

You can cover the tree if it is not too large.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/magnolia/caring-for-star-magnolia-trees.htm

00
Here are more questions about Magnolia Trees