Magnolia

MoaningMyrtle added on April 14, 2018 | Answered

We recently moved into an old cottage and have just noticed, in the front garden, a very healthy looking small magnolia bush (it has several main branches and is not tree shaped). It is approx 3ft tall at present and just coming into flower and it looks very pretty. It is planted in the border and, size and colour wise, is currently in keeping with the rest of the plants and shrubs. However, what worries me is how big it is going to grow and I wonder if, once it has flowered, I could prune it back to prevent it getting much taller? The other option is to dig it up (it is small enough) and give it to a relative - we have nowhere else to put it. Any advice appreciated.

Unless you know the cultivar of the magnolia, then it could get very tall. Well over 30 feet. Since it is still young, it may be best to dig it up and relocate it. This article will help you in doing so: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/tgen/transplanting-trees.htm

00