Location for Roses

holmesdonna9 added on June 15, 2016 | Answered

My neighbor has a walnut tree close to where I want to plant my rose bushes. I know some plants don't like to be near a walnut tree and I want to know about rose bushes. Will they do okay close to the tree? They will still get morning sun and late afternoon sun. Thank you for your reply.

I have seen wild roses growing near walnut trees but they are generally pretty tough roses. The Juglone that black walnut trees are rich in does indeed get after many plants. Since most walnut trees these days are grafted onto black walnut root stock, we still have to deal with the juglone. I would do a test planting or two. Pick a place that is as close as you would want to plant roses to the tree. Plant one rosebush there. Then come out about 4 to 5 feet from that rosebush planting getting further from the walnut tree and plant that rosebush there. See how they do for one complete growing season and even how they come back from winter time. If they do well then you are far enough away that the juglone the walnut tree roots produce that the rosebushes can deal with it or they have no problems with it.

00