Lime Trees

Lime Tree Blossoms

Fitz added on February 6, 2012 | Answered

My 2 year old lime tree has blossoms for the first time. I heard you should pick the first blossoms to help grow the fruit. Is this the right thing to do? Thanks.

2 years old is rather young for a lime tree to be fruiting. I would recommend removing the blossoms this year with the intent of keeping the tree from fruiting this year.

The reason is that a tree needs a year or two to establish itself well (though three or four years is even better). In this time, you want a tree to focus on root growth rather than fruit growth. You end up with a healthier tree in the long run.

So, if you want more fruit from the tree and a longer life to the tree in the future, I would remove any blossoms and fruit you find this year.

00
Here are more questions about Lime Trees