Lilac Bushes

Lilac Bushes and Their Fragrance

Our Lilac bush has an awful odor to it. I was even thinking of replacing it with another if we cannot change this problem. I do know how wonderful they can smell because my grandmother had Lilac bushes and I would always cut bouquets for her and myself. It is a wonderful memory I recall every time I smell other Lilacs, but not my own. So my question is, Can we do something to improve this Lilac and its scent? The scent it has now is an over-powering musk/musty scent. It is the most sickening scent. Thank you for your help.

What variety do you have? It sounds like a Japanese lilac (Syringa reticulata), which normally produces a strong, musky odor that can be off-putting. If this is the case, there's nothing you can do but get rid of it and start over with another variety more appealing to the senses such as common lilac (Syringa vulgaris).

00
Here are more questions about Lilac Bushes