Cypress Trees

Leyland Cypress Trees

Rick Swain added on March 31, 2018 | Answered

I have about 50 Leyland Cypress trees, they are 45' to 50' tall. Unfortunately I had one at a 90 degree corner to come down in a wind storm this year. The trees on each side are in good shape but with this very large corner tree blocking the sun from the others for so many years it has left the other trees baron or dead looking on those sides. What if anything can I do to help those trees bloom again? Do I trim the dead limbs of all the way up? leave them alone & pray? Any advise would be appreciated. I don't have photos but can send them if that's helpful. Thanks Rick

This is tricky. The growth will not recover, but if it is cut, then it may not shoot new growth. It would be best to leave it until you see what will grow back and what will not. After a few months, you can then cut the dead growth off. Often, they will replace some of the growth, but not usually all of it.

10
Here are more questions about Cypress Trees