Letizia Fig Tree

cassadida2 added on March 14, 2018 | Answered

I have had this tree for 5 years and I have babied it and I thought taken excellent care of it. However, this year there is only about 3 small leaves on the bottom of the tree near the ground. There are a few green shoots on 1 or 2 branches. The bark on the limbs from the ground up look a good color except there is some grayish looking circles on the good looking limbs. Now the top limbs down to about 13" are dark. I don't know weather to prune which I have never done. Are weather I may have smothered it at some point during the cold!! If there is anyway you can help me I would love you forever as I really do not want to lose this fig tree. Thinking back to last summer I did notice some of the leaves looked a little immature and some of those leaves may have had a little curl on the edges. They fig trees do not take much care well I find that not to be true. Please help!!

This could be the start of an infection. You can apply a little dolomitic lime and wettable sulfur to it. This can help kill off any infection. You will also want to fertilize at least once per year. Can you tell me a little more about the area that it is planted?