Lemon Trees

Lemon Trees

Starrbuck5 added on November 20, 2016 | Answered

I have two lemon trees, both about the same, about 18" tall in containers. One is blooming and has very small lemons forming on it. The other is not doing anything. Could it be possible that I have a male and female tree, if there is such a thing? The one that is not blooming had bird poop caterpillars this summer and the other did not, even though they sat next to each other on my patio. They are supposed to be Meyer lemon trees, according to the nursery. Please let me know. Thank you, S Buckler bucklers1984@gmail.com

Each Meyer lemon tree is both male and female and is able to pollinate itself. The caterpillars are a more likely cause of the problem- perhaps they weakened the tree last summer. Hand removal can be very effective if they are only on one or two trees.

The tree might also be too young to flower. See this article:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/environmental/plant-not-blooming.htm

00
Here are more questions about Lemon Trees