Lemon Trees

Lemon Tree Outdoors

Poodle added on April 18, 2015 | Answered

I have a container grown lemon tree and it has done fairly well over winter and it produced fruit last year and is now showing signs of flowers again. I have been putting it outdoors as long as the temperature is above 50 but have to haul it in every night because we are still having lows in the upper thirties to low forties. My question is this, could I put an over sized clear plastic around it and pull it up at night to enclose the whole tree would that keep it warm enough? Thanks for your help.

Plastic by itself is not recommended to protect citrus trees from cold/mild freeze because it has the potential to transfer cold to the leaves and burn them. It is also not thought to be a good heat insulator. It is best to cover them with blankets or frost cloths - you could wrap plastic over the blankets as a second layer of protection.

I would recommend you review the section "How to protect growing citrus trees in cold climates" at the following link:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/citrus/cold-hardy-citrus-trees.htm

00
Here are more questions about Lemon Trees