Bean Plants

Legume Inoculant After Planting?

Amy Shehee added on June 27, 2012 | Answered

I'm planting pole and bush beans for the first time in my new square foot garden. I wanted to use a legume inoculant (Fix-N-Grow), which I purchased online, but I had to go ahead and plant the seeds before the inoculant arrived because of extreme temperatures predicted for the following weeks (I thought it best to get the seeds planted before the super hot temps occurred, potentially reducing the percentage of seeds germinating). Anyway, it's only been 4 days since I planted and the Fix N Grow has arrived. Would it be effective to sprinkle it on the soil and water it or will it only work if its placed next to the seed at planting? What about applying it as a side dressing once the beans germinate?

I would just mix it into the soil around your seedlings or water it in now. Either way should be fine.

Here are more questions about Bean Plants