Hosta Plant

Leaf Damage on Newly Planted Hosta

I have two newly planted white hostas in pots. Today I noticed that they appear to have had the "white" sucked from part of the leaves, leaving a largely transparent area. I have not read of any type of leaf miner that attacks hostas, and the darker green. Green and white, or yellow varieties have not been affected. Can you advise please?

It sounds like you had some plants that were not hardened off correctly or, if it was a particularly sun sensitive variety of hosta, planted in too sunny of a spot. What it has is sunscald - it is a little like a sunburn on a plant. If it was just not hardened off correctly, the problem will disappear and the plant will grow, new undamaged leaves. If the location is too sunny for the plant, you may see it continue, and you will need to move the plant to a shadier location.

Here are more questions about Hosta Plant