Lawn Substitutes

Lawn Alternativer

I live in zone 8 L.R. Arkansas, 2000 sq ft front lawn with 3 tall wild trees. Single older women. Out of the three different lawns below which would take the the least water and maintenance : 1. Bermuda grass and 10% mini clover. (I have now a little burmuda left with bare spots). 2. Fluer de lawn. (Can I rake leaves off this type lawn)? 3. Different drought bushes, ground covers, etc.? I like privacy!!! Habitat build houses on both sides of mine. What bushes could I get for each side of my property. Is there any I wouldn't have to trim with a hedger? If the bush is 5' in diameter would the whole width need to be on my side of the property line? If trimmed, Who trims the neighbors side? I don't think they would. And if it is over 6' you can't hedge trim the top? Do you think a wood fence would be more trouble, painting it, etc. than bushes? Thanks so much for your help, I appreciate your advice. Rayleen

I would encourage you to contact your County Extension Office to inquire on the best lawn alternatives for you region.
They can also make recommendations on plant specifics.

Here is a link to locate the nearest office to you.

Here are several links with more information.

You may be able to contract a local garden landscape company to do annual maintenance of your plants.

Here are more questions about Lawn Substitutes