What's your question? Ask

Wafer Ash Trees

Q.Late Plating Of Ptelia Trifolia

Zone Gambier OH 43022 | Anonymous added on November 14, 2021 | Answered

Just put one in the ground, bare root and well watered. Hoping it will survive the winter and grow in the spring. I live in east-central Ohio (zip 43022). We’ve had our first killing frost this past week but the ground is still soft. What are my odds? I am an amateur lepidopterist and have fantasies of getting Giant Swallowtails here.

A.Answers to this queston: Add Answer
GKH_Susan

I think your odds are very good. Trees are best planted in the fall. If you have a dry winter, be sure to irrigate it about once a month. You can increase your number of Giant swallowtails by planting the herb rue (Ruta graveolens), which is also a host plant. It is hardy to zone 4 so should do fine during the winter. Mine seem to die out after a couple of years but I know others who have it for a long time. I also grow common prickly ash, Zanthoxylum americanum, and I always get caterpillars of the Giant.

00

Did you find this helpful? Share it with your friends!

here are more questions about...
Wafer Ash Trees
Join Us - Sign up to get all the latest gardening tips!

Do you know a lot about gardening?
Become a GKH Gardening Expert

OK