Kaffir Lime Trees

Kaffir Lime Tree Leaves

I live in Chicago. I brought my small Kaffir lime tree inside just before frost. It sits in a window with southern exposure next to a growing light. It was doing well, even put out new leaves. Then the leaves began to lose color (fade) and now they are falling off (it is mid-February). Help! Is this normal? What can I do to help it?

It sounds like it may be a watering issue. This is common for indoor lime trees, but does need to be addressed. Make sure that the roots of the plant never dry out and keep it consistently watered. Just for good measure, give the tree some water soluable fertilizer the next time you water.

Citrus trees indoors also require ample humidity. They need a place that gives them full sun and protection from heating and cooling vents. Citrus trees also need good drainage (over-watering is the main culprit in citrus tree death). Key limes do not like to be kept moist. You want to water your tree deeply when you water it and then leave it alone until it needs water again (they actually like it a little on the dry side but not dried out).

Here are more questions about Kaffir Lime Trees