Japanese Maple Trees

Japanese Red Maple

I am repotting a Japanese red maple that my daughter has had for at least a year. At this time the plant does not appear to be thriving, not to say it is dying. However, it does show some dried tips to its branches, which have been there a good while, without change. I am using at least 2 inches of stone in the bottom of the pot and using a 3 month fertilizing, all purpose organic gardening soil. Is there anything special to enhance the growth of this plant other than increasing the pot size and providing fresh soil now and then, with growth and time?

With a plant in a container, it is likely too little water. I would recommend watering daily, or even twice daily in high temps - in the morning and again in the evening.

Here are more questions about Japanese Maple Trees