Japanese Iris Plants

Japanese Iris

betgor added on February 16, 2018 | Answered

My Japanese Iris flowered beautifully the first two years. The next year it had a long thin stem with very small bead like ovals. I sought some advice and so I separated the bulbs and put them in single pots of earth, sand and diluted vinegar. I have kept them moist but the same thing happened. Could you please help as they are beautiful and one that I had never seen before. I am attaching 2 photos. One of the flower and the other of the thin stems. Looking forward to hearing from you. Elizabeth

It looks like what happened is that a different plant has invaded your area. You may have propagated the invader by mistake. They have a growth pattern more similar to that of Daylillies rather than irises. Irises will grow from a layered rhizome resembling a hand with fingers. If what you planted was a true bulb, then this would be a different plant.

00
Here are more questions about Japanese Iris Plants