Jacaranda Trees

Jacaranda Tree

Bethann336 added on January 18, 2018 | Answered

Ok so I planted this tree back in May (?) last year and it has been growing like crazy. But, all of a sudden, about a month ago, the leaves went a dark reddish brown and dried up, but are still on the tree. They brush off fairly easily with a touch, but have not fallen off in the wind. I am wondering if I managed to kill the poor thing or is this a normal winter look for them. I live in the Mojave desert near the Sierras, for reference. Is it dying? Is there anything I can do to save it if it is? Sorry, no pics atm it's dark....

To me, this sounds like a fungal/bacterial infection. The tree does require the soil to stay moist, but they do tend to like a slight drying in between watering.

On the opposite end of things... They do not like overly dry soil. This can cause your symptoms as well.

This article will give you more information on the care of these trees: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/jacaranda/jacaranda-tree-information.htm

Here are more questions about Jacaranda Trees