Asparagus Plants

Drying and Planting Asparagus Seeds

Dusty's Mama added on November 7, 2013 | Answered

Some of my 3 year old asparagus plants have red seed pods on them and I was going to dry them and then plant them in the spring. After a little research, the majority say DON'T waste your time. I've read not to bother drying the red seeds for planting because they will produce female plants, which barely produce any asparagus. Supposedly it's a waste, what is your take on that? I don't want to waste them if it's a good idea. Otherwise, I will purchase more crowns.

Also, is blood meal okay to put in the beds? We have outdoor raised beds and have had wood chips decomposing in them for 2 years. I know I need to put compost on the beds, but I wondered if blood meal would help or hinder next spring's crop. I haven't had much luck with our plants so far, we've only harvested a very small amount and I purchased 2 year crowns, any suggestions?

You might find this interesting: http://gardenofeaden.blogspot.com/2009/04/how-to-grow-asparagus-from-seed.html

Asparagus plants love bone meal. Follow package instructions.

I was taught to buy only named, 2 year, male crowns. Anything else would take too long and/or not be as productive.

00
Here are more questions about Asparagus Plants