Zoysia Grass

Is Zoysia Grass Good for Midwest Lawns?

gardenovice1 added on April 14, 2012 | Answered

I live in S. Illinois, near St. Louis. My yard is mostly weeds and crabgrass and the various areas of the yard run the gamit between mostly shaded to full sun. I have some limited experience with zoysia grass as my parents managed to get a few plugs to survive in their yard when I was growing up in S Indiana. Their stunted success was due more to the fact that the sod pieces were mostly dead when received rather than from a lack of effort from my parents, I believe. That being said, I remember the plugs that survived to be everything the companies that sell zoysia grass claim it to be: lush, carpet-like, low maintenance. Would this be really be a wise choice? I am not concerned about it going dormant in the winter months.

It depends on what kind of soil it is going in and what conditions the grass is growing under, but for the most part, zoysia would be suitable for growing in your area, especially since its going dormant (and turning brown) is okay with you.

00
Here are more questions about Zoysia Grass