Corn Plants

Preventing Cross Pollination of Sweet Corn and Field Corn

joy added on March 3, 2014 | Answered

Is there a way to prevent cross pollination of sweet corn and a framer's field corn? I will plant non GMO sweet corn, raised by organic means (small amount, approx. 10-20 stalks). The farmer most likely has GMO field corn and he sprays with pesticides. His large fields are approx. 1/2 an acre or less from where I plan to plant. His fields are east and south of my land. Do I have to worry about cross pollination and do I have to worry about the pesticides floating over to my land?

The pesticides are not so much a problem. They normally do not drift very far unless you are experiencing high winds.

Cross pollination on the other hand could be a problem. At a half acre away, it will be minimal but you do need at least 100 yards of distance to prevent any cross pollination.

00
Here are more questions about Corn Plants