Soil Problems

Is the Soil Contaminated Forever?

Judyedward added on July 31, 2017 | Answered

Unfortunately, I believe I overwatered my potted tomato plants and kept them too close together. A fungus (verticillum?) is just finishing the last two off. These pots of dirt will spend the winter in the Appalachian Mountains and most likely experience several freezes and thaws. I'm wondering if the weather will kill fungus spores, or should I treat the dirt with a fungicide so I can use it next year incorporating a lesson learned. Thanks for sharing your best practices. Judy Edward

nikki-phipps

While you could treat with a fungicide, it may be better to simply repot with fresh soil or, alternatively, you could sterilize the soil. This article will help with that: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/soil-fertilizers/sterilizing-soil.htm

00
Here are more questions about Soil Problems