Canna Lilies

Is It Too Late to Transplant Cannas

Gwamah added on October 6, 2014 | Answered

I have a few cannas (southern exposure of house) that don't seem to be doing as well as they should. They don't get a lot of sun because of a very large maple tree and I am considering moving them to the backyard fence where they will get more sun, but still be protected from the north wind.

In your zone, you should be right on the border between where cannas can be left in the ground all year, and where they need to be lifted for the winter. I'm guessing that you leave yours in the ground. I think most people would find that spring is the best time to divide, and transplant, cannas, and I'd stick with that if I were you, since you are sort of in an iffy zone. Unless you want to dig some up now and move them just in the spirit of experimentation. But I would advise leaving most of them till spring. This article has more canna information:

Here are more questions about Canna Lilies