Lime Trees

Is It Okay if Grass Grows Under My Lime Tree?

mcsalmo added on April 16, 2015 | Answered

I can't keep the grass from growing under my lime tree. Is it okay if the grass grows under the tree? If it is, I can just cut it then.

It is desirable to maintain a grass-free area around citrus trees to encourage good growth as grass will compete with the tree for nutrients. For young trees, you will want at least a 4 foot grass-free diameter around the trunk and for mature trees, you will want a grass-free area out to the drip-line. To discourage grass, you can use landscape fabric covered with bark or rock around the tree.

If you are looking for other natural methods of killing grass, there is an article on our website here: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/weeds/how-to-kill-grass-naturally-kill-unwanted-grass-in-your-yard.htm

00
Here are more questions about Lime Trees