Bean Plants

Are Dry Beans That Were Picked Before Pod Was Dry Ok to Eat

EmilyJean added on September 9, 2012 | Answered

This is the first year I planted hard beans. I planted 7 different kinds. I planted some Jacob's Cattle beans and picked some that had dry outer shells. Some of the beans I shelled the outer pods were on the yellow side and the outer pod was not completely dry and a few of the outer pods were still green. I have each of these separated and I am wondering if these are still ok to eat or should I be throwing them out? Does anyone know? I've read somewhere that the outer pods should be completely dry -- but how long after the pods are dry is it safe to shell them?

They are fine to eat. Waiting for the pod to dry just helps to dry the bean itself. You can either eat the beans fresh or place them in a warm dry place to complete drying.

Here are more questions about Bean Plants