Please help…desperately trying to save my heirloom bearded iris…I dug them up, used a spoon to scoop out mush and rot, dipped in bleach/water solution, dried in sun for 1 afternoon then dusted with Bonide sulpher fungicide…scooped out some soil, replace with new, also dusted soil with a little fungicide…replanted so rhizomes were visible, not too deep, watered lightly. Leaves are starting to yellow again….as you can see from 1st picture to just 5 days later. What else can I do? Should I dig them up again and start process over…more bleach, fungicide and dry for several days? Just hoping to save them…thanks for any suggestions!!!
Certified GKH Gardening Expert
That is a whole lot of stress for a plant! I think the fungicide, alone, would have been enough, as well as testing the soil for pH imbalances and nutrient deficiencies.
The test, now, may likely show chlorine toxicity in the soil. Keep testing the soil until everything falls back into range, and you can begin to correct the pH and deficiencies, then.
Make sure that the soil has plenty of time to dry out, down to about 3 or 4 inches or so, between waterings. Overwatering is the primary cause for infections to set in.
Keep treating with a fungicide, making sure to follow all packaging instruction to avoid soil toxicity.
Here are some articles that will help: