Houseplant Problems

Indoor Plants

dancemomto2 added on July 22, 2012 | Answered

Whenever I bring home new plants from the nursery, I notice little worms in my room within the week. What can I do to avoid this? I am in need of new plants but don't want to face this problem again.

When you bring the plant home, you can treat the soil with a pesticide and keep it in isolation for a week or so to make sure that any unwanted pests that are in the soil are gone before introducing them to your other plants.

00

Also, if you don't want to use pesticide, you can flood with water. You'll need to put the plant in the bathtub or out in the yard for this. Pour in several times the volume of soil,i.e. if you have a 1 gallon pot, use 5 gallons of water, let it drain out completely, then put the plant in isolation. The water should make the worms crawl out looking for a drier field. Just make sure to test the soil all the way to the bottom of the pot, making sure it's not too wet, before you water again.

00
Here are more questions about Houseplant Problems