Container Hibiscus Plants

Indoor Hibiscus Care

magsturner added on August 11, 2016 | Answered

I bought a beautiful orange hibiscus in April. This replaced one I'd had for a number of years which eventually died. I keep it on a sunny window ledge and water regularly. We went away for a week so I took it out of the window and left it in a cooler spot while we were away. Since then I've treated it in the same way as before but firstly about three weeks ago the leaves looked loose and limp, as though it needed watering, which it didn't. Then the leaves turned yellow and dropped off. Currently, there are three flower buds but one had dropped off before flowering. I do have about 6 leaves left on the plant which look ok at the moment. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to save the plant - I love hibiscus flowers, they're so sunny and welcoming. I'd love any advice you can give, please. Many thanks Margaret Turner

It is possible that the plant's roots stayed overly wet for too long. This could have occurred when you moved the plant from its accustomed sunny spot to a shadier location where it didn't need to use as much water, and could cause most or all of the symptoms you describe.

Don't worry, the plant can probably be saved. Don't water again until the soil is dry, and keep the plant in the shade so it will be less stressed while it recovers. If the soil is currently quite moist, take the plant with its soil out of the pot for a few hours until some of the water evaporates. Then re-pot it.

Good luck! The fact that the plant still has some leaves is a good sign.

10
Here are more questions about Container Hibiscus Plants