Mountain Laurels

Id Wildflower

Recently I was on Blue Ridge Parkway. Got out at non-descript overlook to stretch my legs and was intoxicated by a heavenly perfume. It was a ball of pinkish flowers in a tightly bound head (much like allium). We photographed it and lingered for as long as possible breathing in the fragrance. Lots of bees were present. Elevation was 4, 000 ft. I want to grow this flower by my porch. Can I get seeds for wildflowers? And will they grow at different elevations? Also, my yard has spruces and is shady but I am willing to do containers and move them around - that is how delicious the experience was.

I think you may have encountered a mountain laurel shrub, which grow extensively in those parts. They share similar growing conditions as that of rhododendrons and are easy to care for. While they grow wild in many areas, there are several cultivars available to the home gardener.

00
Here are more questions about Mountain Laurels