Dogwood Trees

I Would Like to Know the Best Time to Plant

deputy2012 added on June 14, 2012 | Answered

I have these two dogwood trees delivered by the Arbor Day collection event this spring. I have put them in a three galllon flower pot with a mixture of Miracle Gro potting soil and Miracle Gro garden soil. Since putting them in the pots, I have fertilized them about once every three weeks and watered when needed. They are really taking off. I don't wwant to kill them by planting them at the wrong time. I live in the upper northwest region of SC. Really close to NC, 7 miles. We've had plenty of rain this spring too. Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.

Most transplanting is done in early spring or late fall, but since yours are in a container, you can go ahead and put them in the ground now. However, make certain you keep them well watered, especially throughout summer. For a newly planted tree, we would recommend daily or every other day watering for at least another month until the roots established themselves. After that, water deeply once a week for the rest of the growing season. By next year, they should be established enough to need little to no watering. This article will provide additional information:

Here are more questions about Dogwood Trees