Onions

Onions

oldheadgardener added on June 23, 2011 | Answered

I was told as a lad that onions cease to swell if the leaves are blown over. Is this true? If it is, would it be possible to grow onions in a wired frame to specifically stop the leaves blowing over?

No, this is not true. Though, I can see the logic in it. The bulb grows based on the energy that is gathered by the leaves. If they blow over, there is a chance they will be damaged and will die, so therefore will not be able to send energy to the bulb.

If your leave blow over, you can simply prop them back up so that they can mend themselves. But, I think you will find that the leaves adjust themselves to the conditions they are grown in and will not blow over. If you live in a very windy area and are still concerned, you can build a windblock that would keep the wind from reaching the plants in the first place.

00
Here are more questions about Onions