Palm Tree Problems

Palm Tree Eaten by Cat

grdove added on May 17, 2015 | Answered

I was given a tiny palm from my aunt last summer. She said it was a ponytail palm but it doesn't look quite like the pictures I see on the web. It was only about 4 inches tall at the time. The fronds(?) are lined up in a straight line, almost like a hand fan. A couple of months after bringing it home, my cat got to it and chewed the fronds off to about 1 1/2 inches above soil level. The ends are dried and brown but green down to where they connect to the trunk. Will it eventually recover and grow or is it a lost cause? Thank you.

It is possible it will eventually recover as ponytail palms do have the ability to regenerate. I would recommend continuing to provide it the care it needs (see article link below for tips) and to make sure your feline friend does not pay it another visit. Your palm should grow new shoots in a month's time.

Here are more questions about Palm Tree Problems