Hollyhocks

Hollyhock Problems

I planted some hollyhock seedlings about nine months ago and have plenty of leaves but no sign of flower stems or flowers. Also, the leaves on one plant have ben attacked by something which has caused very small holes all over the leaves, making almost a 'lacey' effect. What am I doing wrong? I am in Sydney, Australia. Why aren't my hollyhocks showing any sign of flowering, and what could be eating the leaves?

If the plants are not flowering, there could be too much nitrogen in the soil. This results in lush foliage growth but little to no blooming. I would recommend adding some phosphorus, like bone meal, to the soil to promote flowering. Here is more information: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/soil-fertilizers/phosphorus-plant-growth.htm

00
Here are more questions about Hollyhocks