I Have White Spots on My Cherry Belle Radishes

candyo added on June 23, 2012 | Answered

I am not sure if it's a fungus, or a small bug, but my radishes have light white spots on them. It is not chewed into the skin, almost looks like a water spot. What could it be? Is it safe to eat? Also, I do not use any chemicals in my garden.

Are the spots powdery in nature or bleached out looking? It could be attributed to either powdery mildew or from water spots associated with overhead watering or splashing of the leaves. Limiting overhead watering will help with this water spots. The powdery mildew can be treated with neem oil, which is an effective and safe fungicide. It will also guard against many insect pests. (and yes after thorough washing, it will be safe to eat) Here is more information: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/pesticides/neem-oil-uses.htm

Here are more questions about Radishes