Azalea Plants

Acorn-Like Things on the Ground Under Azaleas

dieckmannml added on March 23, 2015 | Answered

I have what looks like acorns on the ground under my azaleas. When raking, I see a dust coming out. What is this? Leaves on azalea are very small and many limbs seem to be dying. Small areas on limbs have grayish green dead like moss.

What type of azalea do you have? Some varieties drop seed pods\balls to the ground. When you are raking you are disturbing the seed pods (which have since dried out) and cracking them open which is releasing several hundred seeds into the air, which is probably the "dust" you were seeing.

00

I'm not sure what would be 'acorn like' except acorns. Do you have chipmunks, squirrels or even rodents that may be using the azalea as a hiding spot?
I would clean the area well, and watch for any further damage to the plant itself.

Here is a link to possible problems with your azalea.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/azalea/common-azalea-problems.htm

00
Here are more questions about Azalea Plants