Crape Myrtle Trees

I Have Several Dead Branches on My Crepe Myrtle

Lstewart1 added on May 3, 2015 | Answered

Several of the thick branches are dead. I am ready to cut down the tree or should I just cut off the dead branches? Can the tree regrow branches?

Has the tree leafed out at all? Are you sure the branches are in fact dead? Crepe myrtles are one of the last plants to leaf out in spring which causes many to fear the worst. If the branches are truly dead, you will want to remove them as it is in the best interest for the health of the tree. The decision to cut down the tree is truly yours - what percentage of the branches are dead? If you decide to remove the dead branches, the canopy of your crepe myrtle will fill in again over time as it begins to regenerate itself and spur new growth.

For more information on crepe myrtles, please visit the following links:

Thank you for the response. Less than 5 percent of the branches are dead. Nothing is growing on the dead branches.

Here are more questions about Crape Myrtle Trees