Sunflower Plants

Sunflower Too Tall

christine hislop added on May 6, 2015 | Answered

I have a large border that contains a big area of annual sunflowers. In the past 5 years the flowers have become shriveled and do not open fully. They also grow far too high and I am five foot and they are easily a foot taller at their peak. I have 2 questions: 1. Can I stunt their growth a bit? 2. How do I get the flowers to bloom as they did? The border was well established before I bought the house and there are far too many to dig up!!

Are they getting full sun and enough water (they need lots of water)? They are also heavy feeders. I would amend the soil with either compost, well-composted manure or fertilizer. I bet over time the sunflowers have depleted the nutrients from the soil they are growing in.

There really is no way to stunt the growth of a sunflower. You may want to consider pursuing sunflowers of a shorter variety.

Here is an article on sunflower problems that may interest you:

And some articles on sunflower care:

For more information on perennial sunflowers, please visit the following link:

Here are more questions about Sunflower Plants