Staghorn Ferns

Large, Heavy Staghorn Fern

daryle_hill@yahoo.com.au added on September 13, 2015 | Answered

I have a beautiful stag fern, which is about 20 years old and is extremely large and heavy (which now falls from the fence where it is planted). How do I re-tie the plant so that it is secure onto the backing board which I can then secure to the fence. Some sort of hanging basket under the plant?

You can put nails into the mounting board in a circular pattern that is approx the diameter of the plants roots. Make sure they have a head on the nail and that they are pounded into the board at least an inch.
Place the fern onto the board and wrap with plenty of damp moss. Now take garden twine and began wrapping the root and moss ball using the nails to anchor the fern to the board. Continue wrapping until it feels secure.
I have seen a plastic crate used. Cut in half and secured with wire to hang from a ceiling. The Fern is nested into the crate and wrapped with moss covering all of the crate. (you want to disguise the plastic crate).

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/foliage/staghorn-fern/staghorn-fern-information.htm

00
Here are more questions about Staghorn Ferns