Hyacinth

Hyacinths Old Flower Stems Covered With Pods

mari added on June 16, 2011 | Answered

My hyacinths are about 3-4 years old and bloom every year. This year we had bad storms that knocked them over and they looked bent and broken. Now I notice the flower stems have grape-like pods on them. What are these, and will they grow? Should they be dried? I did cut them and have them on the porch. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks, this is my first time on this site. Mari

They are seed pods. Most people cut them off as it diverts the energy of the plant from building up its bulb (which makes for a bigger flower) to making seeds (which can take 2-4 years to bloom. You can just remove them.

00
mari

Not a question but a THANK U Heather for answering my seed pod question--
I must add I had a feeling they might be-- yet I cut the stems and brought them in on the porch- still attached -will they just dry out for planting next spring ???

00
Here are more questions about Hyacinth